|Back to main page||Íàçàä íà ãëàâíóþ ñòðàíèöó|
|Back to Eurovision Belarus||Íàçàä íà Åâðîâèäåíèå-Áåëàðóñü|
Belarus - main contenders
At this page we will introduce to you
main contenders in national preselection of Belarus. On opinion of the experts of our site
there are three real candidates - folk duet Alexandra and Konstantin, shlager singer Irina
Dorofeeva and pop-rock singer Corriana. But there is possibility that some foreign
participants (from Russia and other countries) will change the situation on the top.
Now we present you some articles (which are not written by us), which can help you to get acquainted with main candidates, and also with opinions of well-known persons in music circles of Belarus.
|Who will be Euroseeker?
"Observer", January 9, 2004.
Vice director of FM broadcasting of Belarus radio, member of jury Yuri Tsarev:
- I will not speak about my personal point of view on chances of different singer. We had secret balloting and selected 15 finalists. 12 of them presented very strong material. There can appear some problems regarding other 3, because phonogram for their songs is very poorly recorded. We selected 15 songs not only of Russian but European level. This was major surprise for me. I thought that we are lacking resourses, technics at first. There are songs that can amaze from first sounds. But everything will be decided by viewers. So I don't want to affect their decision in any way. I'm sure we will have great show. .
You probably know that singer of "Ivanushki Int." Kirill Andreev also submitted entry in europop stile, hit one. But he is not Belarus citizen, and we decided that all participants should have Belarus citizenship. If he will produce in future some Belarus group - I'm sure he will have great chances.
I think that we will be participating in Eurovision for a long time. We have number of wide singing resourses. First we didn't think that we could get such a quality product, but when we made very tough criteria singers replied with excellent product.
Were also unexpected submissions. A lot of poor ones. Even not of home-yard quality. Were pank-rock songs which we immediately relegated. We also waited more enthusiasm from well-known Belarus singers.
- We're absolutely sure that we will qualify to this 15 finalists. We've made a great job with "My Galiley". And we think it fits European standarts. I like this song a lot. If we will win preselection we have certain hopes for big euro final too. But we have no euphoria, we should keep on improving, Eurovision is just another step in our career.
- Hm, honestly speaking I've just today noticed the list of finalist. Only few of them are well-known singers. But I hope some of them will be strong contenders. Our song "Find a great love" as I think is very strong one, and only one in English. We submitted it last moment in demo version, and now we will improve it, add some national instruments. We will do everything for the song to become eurohit.
|“Ivanushka” misses Eurovision
Komsomolskaya pravda in Belarus
January 6th, 2004
To select final 15 jury even didn't meet. As Vasily Rainchik told us to him was given mp3 disc with 59 songs. He selected ones he liked and then put secret ballot into special box also brought to him from TV station. He even didn't noticed that one of singers was member of popular Russian band. When we informed Vasily who did qualified to the final he mentioned:
- Well, my vote was almost similar. I can not say there was superhit that amazed me, but some songs had good arrangements. For example Natalia Podolskaya's one. It can be heard that sound is foreign, song was produced abroad. I liked it. But there is a big question who will be Eurovision performer. We selected songs according our mentality but Europe usually has different views. When I watch contest I never can understand logics of European voting.
In the music circles everyone is predicting win for Irina Dorofeeva, not only the most popular among contestants, but also favourite of authorities. Will this rumours become true we will see on 31st of January.
- First I didn't scheduled to participate in Eurovision. But then we heard rumours that I'm already winner of selection. So we decided that we should participate! More I think that my win will be not the worst variant for Belarus.
We submitted demo of "Find a great love", which was recorded on the last submission date. Arangement should be done. Authors are Evgeni Oleinik (Radio BA) and Pavel Baranovski (Radio Unistar).
|Pauls will compose songs for Alexandra
Komsomolskaya pravda in Belarus
But in Eurovision preselection she will participate with self composed song...
She is participating with song "I still have my hope" which was composed by herself. Song is not usual because for national colour in arrangement were used ... dulcimers.
|Soloduha and Sapat'kov will fight for
Komsomolskaya pravda v Belarusi
Sergey Malinovski, Nadezhda Belohvostik, Olga Ulevich
There are different strage things around Belarus preselection. As told
us Valeriy Rainchik, listed as juror, he learned this only by chance from his students,
noone spoke about contest with him and he never participated in jury's seetings.
Soloduha prepared white costume
Alexandr Soloduha prepared song "Ne perezhivay". This optimistic song should be liked by everyone from dvornik (man who takes care of streets cleaning) till president.
The refrain of the song goes like this (translation from Russian):
Don't worry! Don't worry!
The only Belarus winner of Slavyanski Bazar contest just managed to enter his song in time. "I'm working so heavily so I didn't see advertisments" So he had to enter English language song written by him 3 years ago, but never recorded or publicly performed.
|Space music of Vydronok
Among 15 Belarus finalists is band "Yur'ja". Their
leader Yurij Vydronok claims that world will listen to absolutely new music -
cosmogonical, which will appear from crossing of music of space spheres, human soul and
musical instruments of people separated by time and distance.
|Will member of "Ivanushki
International" represent Belarus?
Komsomolskaya pravda in Belarus
Solist of Russian band "Ivanushki International" Kirill Andreev registered as participant of Eurovision 2004 Belarus preselection.
Also in the list of 60 are citizens of Cyprus, Ukraine and Russia. As
commentes General Producer Vladimir Maksimkov "Some foreign singers will participate
in contest because their songs fit all requirements".
|Yanina Kolas (Minsk Courier 19.09.2003)
Korriana: "I can represent my country at "Eurovision" in an appropriate manner"
Not so much time is left before Eurovision
2004 and a lot of people are wondering who will represent Belarus at this contest. Name of
lucky person is not yet selected, but there already is the list of main contenders. It
also includes our today's guest - female singer Korriana.
Concert-presentation of album "Za lihimi za morozami" of duet "Aleksandra & Konstantin" held in central Dzerzhinski hall wasn't a soldout. But concert was really perfect. And it was accompanied by information that this very musiciants are the main contenders to be selected as first Belarus representatives at Eurovision song contest. Concert included one part.
Duet was accompanied by trio "Arnica" with highly experienced musiciants: drummer Kirill Shevando, bass-guitarist Alexandr Kalinovski and guitarist Victor "Small boy" Molchanov. In the concert also participated guest musiciant Igor Voroshkevich with harmonica and violin player. First musiciants perfomed songs from debut album and new folk songs written by Konstantin Drapezo and Aleksandra Kirsanova.
This were really original interesting compositions performed by Aleksandra which sounded very convincingly and distinctively. Possibly for the first time her vocal manner adopted so many soul motives, that is not so natural for Belarus native music. But is just the question of habits.
|Path is opened Minsk courier
Inna Afanasieva, singer,
— It's great that Belarus singers are entering European scene, participate in such a prestigeous event. I have new songs but for now have no intentions to participate in preselection. It's difficult to judge who has chances. There are many good singers around.
— My new song is ready, so I do accept this chance. Eurovision is first of all contest of songs, not singers. So we can judge who is the best only after listening to songs. There is possibility on my opinion that one singer can go to the contest with the song of other. I doubt thought we can win the contest, but participation is more important.
"Aleksandra and Konstantin" duet:
— Surely we will take part in preselection, though we are not satisfied with all conditions and regulations. Material for the new song is ready and we're making arrangement now. We think other singer, Yana, also has good chances. Belarus participant can win contest only by chance, but we think that top ten is possible.
Kirill Sluka, performer:
— I have no intentions to go to the Eurovision. I'm showman, not vocalist. I have enough work to do to improve myself. And I for principle will never sing in English. But... never say never... Everything is possible in life. And there are enough talents in our country. In my opinion, the best candidates for Eurovision is duet "Aleksandra and Konstantin". They are singers of European quality, very lively, different music. Also I should mention bands "N.R.M.", "Palats" and well-known "Pesnyary" who can represent Belarus very well. I think we have chances to win, but we should not forget that this is specific show-biz with own laws.
Oleg Khomenko, leader of "Palats" band:
— We didn't decide yet whether we will participate in preselection. We should find out if we need it ourselves. But we are preparing song. It's very good that BTRC is organizing Belarus preselection for ESC. Hope they will also fully support our national representative.
There surely are good enough singers to represent Belarus at the contest. I won't give any names. Singer should be proffesional, with experience of performing for big audiences. Chances of winning is minimal. Even if hugely talented singer will be selected. All of us know mechanic of Eurovision. Jury is fluent with situation if European culture, they follow current tendences, popular directions. And their opinion is well known in advance. So it will be very difficult for Belarus to fight for prize.
©"Music TuT" Yuri Pavlyuk - Vlada! Is it true that you're going to represent Belarus in the Eurovision song contest 2004?
- Who, me? Well, you're not the first journalist to ask me this question. First I heard such a news about myself at festival "On the crossroads of Europe". The in TV show "5x5" letters of TV viewers with their candidates were written and I was happy to find my name in the list too. But really I haven't thought about this possibility yet. But if there will be such a suggestion, surely I will accept it.
|Are you ready for the
Eurovision? Dmitry Drigailo
Alexandr AKULICH, vice president of productional center "Class-Club DK": - We have no such strong band as Russian "Prime-minister". But from those singers popular in Belarus, I'd prefer Inna Afanasieva the best.
Vitaly TAMBOW, vice director of "Reactor" club: - Well, I don't really know. May be Afanasieva, KRIVI could do well there, but still we should grow a lot to reach level of Russian stars, their shows, costumes, ballet are much better.
Pavel BARANOVSKI, editor of Unistar radio: - Our show-biz is not developed at all, and those so called stars, I can't say any good words about them. Recently though I've listened to one girl from BSU. This is rather interesting. Her name is Korriana. I think we have a number of good young musiciants and we can do well if this question will be referred not to the persons who're promoting only their artists.
Alexandr ZIMOVSKI, vice chairman of STRC: - Not to disappoint someone I think that Belarus should be represented by lureate of "Slavyanski Bazar in Vitebsk" contest. This is the best musical and cultural event in the country. Some young performer. I think this is objective point of view, as selection of the singer is very subjective event.
Sergey KUZIN, general producer of "Alpha-Radio": - We have strong performer - Valery Daineko. He can represent Belarus very well. He has no European quality material right now, but in a year he can prepare a hit. I've also heard duet "Aleksandra and Konstantin". He has great potential but he needs money for good record with excellent sound.
Anna GURIEVA, soloist of national opera theater: - I think that there is no candidates to represent Belarus at the Eurovision right now. Those singer we can here on radio are not sufficient to the level of the contest. But we can good young talents, so may be in future...
|Dmitry BezkorovainiyLyavon VOLSKI
"This money should be spend on other purposes"
Lyavon Volski, 38, famous Belorussian musician, leader of N.R.M. (former Mroya) band winner of lot of contests.
- What do you think about the Belarus participation in the Eurovision?
- This is window-dressing. Noone needs it. It comes from same category as building of great library or creation of Presidential Orchestram when we have superb orchestra conducted by Mikhail Finberg. The same time our symphonic music is in crisis and in whole world this branch is supported by the government. As I know this year only 20 thousand dollars will be spend to buy compositions of more than 200 composers.
- How do you like Eurovision contest itself?
- I'm very sceptical about it. This is thing our planet can do without. Like each festival it has it's own rules, juries are selecting only those they wanted to win. Just waste ground. But if it already exists - no problem. If people want to spend money for such kind of stuff - OK, let them do so. But I think that our country has no money and we can spend it to different purposes.
- Who can you name as candidates from Belarus?
- No candidates yet. We have professional pop musiciants, but I don't think they are suitable for the contest. Let's take for example Daineko and Afanasiava. I think their time has passed, now with only vocal and experience is difficult to be promoted. You should follow conjuncture. But "Kraski" will not fit also - this is a different format. This is contest of sweet music for adults. But theoreticaly some variants exists. For example on "On European Crossroads" show there was some lady singing pop-blues.
Main problem that, despite geografically we're in Europe, we're far from it culturally. Even Russia as we see at Eurovision and of course Baltic countries are much closer to it. Prime-Minister or Mumiy Troll were not so impressive but they didn't failed. This is also a problem of our music's position. We're living in other informational field. We have tens of Russian TV and radio stations promoting their and European music, we also have 2-3 local channels, but stuff they provide is the same. We have on the concerts 30 of Russian singer and may be one local, who is not attracting anyone's attention. Our singers are not recognised by public. Oleg ELISEENKOV "Eurovision is same as Olympics"
Oleg Eliseenkov, 45, famous composer, director of some music contests.
- What do you think about Belarus participation in Eurovision.
- I can't say it's good idea. But it is normal, as Belarus take part in Olympics and world championships in different sports. Contacts with Eurovision were started when I was working at Belarus TV. EBU is running number of cultural programs but this is most well-known one.
- What will participation in Eurpovision give to Belarus?
- First of all it's a chance to introduce that there is country like Belarus. Why do we need such a unions? To be integrated into European society. If we want to be part of Europe we have a possibility to get some connections at least in this sphere. But there are also a lot of minus points too.
- What is potential of our country at ESC and it's participant?
- This question is being discussed for a lot of time. Especially during last years when Russia and Baltic countries more activized. I think we can do well, but not during our first experiences for sure. First problem is that people usually think that Eurovision is contest of singers, but it' s contest of songs and composers. We just need singing actor for it. Second problem is the song itself. Every hit in exUSSR will become a failure in Europe. Russia understood it pretty quickly and after failures by Kirkorov and Pugachova started making European songs. In this case the brightiest example is Alsou, whose song was written by foreign authors. Prime-minister joined this two categories, refrain was European and verses in our local traditions, but it also brought no result. So optimal song for ESC is one disliked by our public.
- Can Belarus singer do good record and arrangement for his composition?
- Surely. You think too much about Eurovision. It is just good package, but inside quality is same as our local "Zornai rostani". U think that some of ESC finalists even won't be selected for "Zornai Rostani". And in main contenders to Eurovision will be laureats of this contest. This will be good contenders as according to the rules of the festival, they sang one Belarus song and one European hit. Some of them are working abroad, singing at the restaurants.
- Who can represent Belarus at ESC?
- Well, I'll be possibly first one to mention this name. This singer for sure will qualify to top ten. I think she can climbe even higher, because her promoters has all information and can make Belarus first appearance at the contest sensational. After a big pause I'm telling the name - Alena Sviridova. Question is only in her citizenship. As far as I know she still posseses Belarus passport. I think this is the best variant. And for her it will be also good promotion, as after Eurovision there usually appeares a lot of suggestions not only from abroad but also from local market too.
- A lot of people have doubts about participation in ESC because of situation with local music.
- This don't depends on participation in the contest. There are a lot of people who work in home made studios. There are a lot of brilliant singers in the regions. I remember first winner of Slavianski bazar Marina Zheludeva from Orsha. She performed in English one of Madonna songs and she did it much better than the original. This is sensation. And there are a lot of talants like this.